Monday 11 May 2015

Writing To The Unknown Soldier

In class we have been writing to the unknown soldier. We had to include complex sentences, short sharp sentences and five paragraphs. Here is my writing.

Dear Unknown Soldier,

As I write to you, I am sitting with my friends in my classroom. I am able to laugh and talk. I can play, run free. I am writing to you to ask you questions and show you what I have learnt about you and all the other soldiers who had to go to the terrible war just for our freedom. We remember you.

Did you even want to go to war? We have heard that you thought it was an adventure. You didn't go to these great places France and England you went to hot, dry Suez in Egypt.Did you ever regret going to war? It wasn't what you had expected but you couldn't go back you were there now. I can’t imagine who you would feel when you suddenly had to go to this dry place and kill.  

How did you feel when you had to go onto the battlefield and kill? All the guns shooting, blood, stretcher bearers and the wounded soldiers with bandages covering their wounds. All the soldiers around you drop to the ground and slowly decompose. How did you feel when your friends died around you? You would be standing in the same spot when suddenly you heard your wounded friend groaning while collapsing to the ground right in front of your eyes. You would see all the white crosses and remember your friends as if they were still standing with you. We remember all the dead soldiers on armistice day on the 11th of November.

Did you miss all the delicious food your mother would cook for you? We know all the soldiers had hardly anything to eat. You would sit around in your tent before bed starving, wanting something to eat. I can’t imagine having only a few things to eat a day or week.

Did you worry the enemy would attack at night? I can’t imagine lying in bed worrying that the enemy would creep up and attack. You would think they were worrying about the same thing too. Did you worry you would get killed? We have learned that lots of the soldiers got killed every minute. I would worry I would get shot and just sprint back to my tent.

Don’t worry about being forgotten, ANZAC day is one of the most important days of the year. Lots of people want to know who you are. If only you could write back, well at least your name.

Yours Sincerely,

Henrietta Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment